Sunday, April 7, 2013

Is it time to end your relationship?


I know what it’s like:  you’ve been in a relationship for a long time, it’s become comfortable, easy, habitual.  You don’t have to think about how things function – most of the time things just flow along as always.

If there’s a sudden betrayal, a collapse – then it’s hard.  But at least then it’s clear what you must do:  the relationship is over, you have to move on.  Hopefully next time you’ll choose better.

But what if things never quite come to a crunch?  There’s no crash, but neither are things as they should be, and when you think about it, they haven’t been right for a while. 

Of course, there have always been problems, irritations.  Perhaps things, easily ignored, but which fundamentally do not chime with your own values.  

Greed for example – could you spend your life with one you regard as fundamentally selfish?  

What if there are questionable investments?  What if behavior isn’t as honourable as you’d like in dealings with others?  Or if your needs are just shrugged off with an insidious, low-level lack of interest?

I know what you think:  it’s not perfect, but it’s comfortable and easy – no need to panic.

No!  Now is exactly the time you need to bail out.  You only live once, and you deserve better than this.  Do you really want to look back on your life and realize that your key decisions, your relationship, was all with the wrong one?  Do you really want to think of your life’s investment as being with an unworthy partner?

Here’s what to do:  if you are still giving everything to the same old *anker, and never getting back what you’d expect, then it’s time to walk away – now!  It’s the best thing you can do for yourself, and indeed for us all.

I know it’s a big step, but I promise you’ll feel so much better for it.  There are even websites which can help.

All I can say is it worked for me:  I believe I will be with my present partner for life.  I’m confident that our relationship is based on a clear, positive choice, not fear or inertia.  My life’s investment is with one who shares my core values.  I’m sure I will be satisfied, happy, even proud. 

In fact, it’s pretty easy to change from your dodgy old bank and transfer to an ethical one instead.  Or would you rather look back on your life knowing you spent it with the wrong one?

No comments:

Post a Comment